Monday, October 27, 2008

Going for the Gold

So, this last weekend was parent's weekend at the Y, and, as usual, my parents came down to see me and to catch a football game. We don't usually participate in many of the parent's weekend activities (last year was the exception, when we went to the "Blue-au" dinner and pep rally). There is one parent's weekend activity that we have participated in every year I have been at BYU-the 5K. This particular 5K is unique because not only do you run individually, but you can compete with your parent as a team. Every year since my freshman year my dad and I have ran together. My freshman year, we were good enough to to get third place, a feat which we duplicated the year I got back from my mission. Two years ago, we moved up to second place. Last year was a dark time for us, as illness and lack of training led to my Dad and I not finishing in the top 3 father/son teams. This year, things fell in our favor. First off, the father from the team that had won the last several years had a broken foot, so their team was out. This left the door open for me and my Dad. Unfortunately, I am not the best at training for running events, and all I have done all semester is run a mile every Tuesday and Thursday, so I knew I would be a little slower than my best. However, after the race was won and the times were added together, we finished in first place. After 5 years of running this race and always finishing behind another team, we finally reached the top of the mountain. We do have one more year to go, but at least now when there are no more parent's weekends left for us, we can say we won it once.
The Gold Medal

1 comment:

Kip said...

Nice work Krit. As your hired hitman I think I deserve a little praise for the guy's broken foot